The List is a completely scientific and totally unbiased rating of the most annoying, alarming, and/or appalling people, places and things… based upon the facts as we have heard them. Today, we look at the Fox News personality (Does smug self-satisfaction count as a personality?), Tucker Carlson.
INHERENT LOATHSOMENESS [4 OUT OF 5]
Just look at that face.
MISDEEDS [4 OUT OF 5]
How much time do you have? In a nutshell, the man has made a very
good comfortable living as a human dog whistle. His schtick is all sanctimony, mock incredulity and outrage, stoking fear that black or brown or some kind of “other” folks are coming for his viewers. A common theme is his assertion that white people are the real victims of racism today. Here are some of the “highlights:”
- Said that “the Congressional Black Caucus exists to blame the white man for everything”
- Claimed “white men” deserve credit for “creating civilization”
- Advocated for “an older white guy-appreciation day”
- Said NFL players “hate your country” because of their protests against “racism or something”
- He and Brit Hume discussed when it would be appropriate to use the N-word
- Said immigrants made the nation “poorer and dirtier”
- Downplayed Russian election interference, claiming Mexico is “routinely interfering in our elections by packing the electorate” through immigration
- Accused immigration advocates of objecting to hateful rhetoric against immigrants because “you’re attacking their housekeeper”
- Said white supremacy is a “conspiracy theory” used by Democrats to divide the country
- Said America “was a better country” when it was less diverse
- During the anti-racism demonstrations after the police killing of George Floyd, he called protesters “idiots, for real,” “angry children” and “utterly stupid.”
- He also said, “This may be a lot of things, this moment we’re living through, but it is definitely not about black lives. Remember that when they come for you, and at this rate, they will.”
MITIGATING FACTORS [1.5 OUT OF 5]
Say what you will about the man but he is consistent. And, his consistent racism has cost his show many big sponsors.
CULTURAL SATURATION [3 OUT OF 5]
Fearmongering works! His show, Tucker Carlson Tonight, just became the highest rated program in cable news history… but that’s a bit like being the most tolerant guy at the Klan rally. (It’s not much to brag about.)
BONUS POINTS [3 OUT OF 5]
He brought the full force of his faux outrage down on Sesame Street for a show in which they tried to help children process and understand racism. His response to puppets and children talking about the very real problem of racism in America was pure Tucker Carlson… “Got that, Bobby? America is a very bad place and it’s your fault, so no matter what happens, no matter what they do to you when you grow up, you have no right to complain.”
Poor, Bobby. If he’s up watching Tucker Carlson Tonight, I’d wager he knows all too well about racism in America.